Roulette betting is not complicated at all and offers you a wide variety of options and fortunately, when playing at an online casino you are under no pressure whatsoever to rush placing your chips.
Roulette betting – Outside bets
Outside bets on a roulette table simply refer to bets that are placed on the OUTSIDE of the main playing area or grid of 37 or 38 numbers depending on whether it is a European or North American wheel respectively.
1. Red or Black – Here you are betting that either a Red number or Black number will come up and pays even money (1/1), in other words, if you bet $5, you win $5. The bet is placed on either the Red or the black diamond or technically, the “rhombus” shape, which is located on the one side of the table. This is probably one of the most popular forms of roulette betting because it is easy to understand that the ball can only land in either a red or a black number and that you could have a 50/50 chance of winning. At this point, I would like to bring your attention to a common gambler’s fallacy by example. Let’s say that Red has come up 6 times. What do you think the chance of Black coming up on the 7th? Better than 50%? Unfortunately not! The result of the next spin of the wheel is not in any way determined or influenced by the previous result, even though the game of roulette may be looked at as a game of probability by many, it is, in fact, a game of luck. Before going into the of the odd or even roulette betting details I want you to consider that, although there are 18 Reds and 18 Blacks on the roulette wheel, there are more red odd number (10 to 8) and conversely, there are more black even numbers.
2. Odd or Even- 0 does not count here and, there are 36 numbers. As with red or black, you are gambling on the ball landing on one of the 18 odd or 18 even numbers, which will pay out even money. This bet is made by placing your chips in the middle of the rectangle marked ‘even’ or the rectangle marked ‘odd’, which will be on either side of the black or red betting area. There are five black even numbers in the first 12, (1 to 12), three black even numbers in the second 12 (13 to 24) and only 2 in the third dozen (25 to 36). Knowing this should influence your roulette betting system, wouldn’t you agree?
3. Low or High- You are betting that the ball will land one a number anywhere between 1 to 18 (Low) or the range between 19 and 36 This bet pays even money (1/1).
4. Dozen bet- There are three dozen numbers marked 1st 12, 2nd 12 and 3rd 12 on the roulette table. 1st will include (1-12), 2nd will include (13-24)and 3rd (25-36) This bet pays 2/1
5. Line bet- Is when you bet on 6 numbers that are intersected by the line. The bet is placed on the line as shown on the roulette table graphic on the right. In this example, if the ball had to land on either 31,32,33,34,35 or 36, you will receive payment of 5/1
6. Column bets – At one bottom end of the set of 38 numbers, arranged into 3 columns of 12 numbers there are boxes marked with the words 2 to 1. If the ball lands on a number that falls within the column you are betting on you win, and you will be paid 2/1.
7. Corner Bet- Is when you place your bet on the intersection of four numbers. As shown in the graphic you will be betting on 22, 23, 25 and 26. The ball landing on one of these numbers will earn you a payment of 8/1
8. Street Bet- When you place your bet on the sideline of 3 numbers it is referred to as a street bet. If numbers 16, 17 or 18 had to come up as shown in the graphic to the right, payment will be 11/1.
9. Split Bet- Is placed on the intersecting line of 2 numbers, in this case, 11 and 14. This bet pays 17/1.
10. Straight up Bet- Here you are gambling that an individual number will come up. This one pays out the best odds at 35/1 to 1 and includes 0 or 00 if you were playing a North American Roulette table.